Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Learning on the job

I'd like to say I'm getting better at work...

I remember being a student, I'd be at awe with my mentors being able to remember what they're required to do for a handful of patients, through their shift...you'd get the normal routine stuff that needs doing, then doctor's orders, referrals to make, patient's needs/requests to answer, other nurses' asking for help, family wanting their needs/questions to be looked at.

man...as time pass...I'm sure people would develop, I've been working for 3 months now...and looking back, I remember struggling with my drug calculations, not knowing what procedure is required, what the normal is for kids, not knowing what to expect or look out for.

Now, I can do drug calculations on top of my head and get them correct, I can roughly know what to look out for, with some disease/illness, I know what to prepare for different patients, and ask the correct questions, I know who to ask and what to say, I can even understand people much better!

There's still so much more I need and could learn, and everyday I learn at least one thing new at work. Whether it be a new diagnosis, or treatment, or symptom, professional development or social lesson, there will be endless. I'll always continue learning....especially on time management!!! Maybe roller blades would do the trick huh?

nursesheart website

No comments:

Post a Comment